Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dion the Rebel

At a certain level of detachment, a leader is a vehicle for the type of policies that you want enacted. And I believe Michael Ignatieff will be a good vehicle for the aspirations of Canadian Liberals.

For the last two years, I have supported Stephane Dion as leader of the party because I believe he is a man of integrity and great intelligence. A great Canadian who has devoted himself to the country and the party. As a consequence, he has suffered many attacks. He led the party in the aftermath of the sponsorship scandal and was villified by Harpers political machine.

Michael Ignatieff will eventually face the same type of attacks. In my small way, I will help to defend Ignatieff and promote the party. And I hope that he is able to rise above the personal smears in a way that Stephane Dion ultimately was unable to do.





Dion worked effectively under both Jean Chretien and Paul Martin as a highly competent minister. They gave him difficult tasks (the Clarity Act, the Montreal Climate Change Summit) which he accomplished with impressive skill. And for that also the party and Canada owes Stephane Dion our deep respect and gratitude.

The linked video is not one that I would have featured when he was leader, but what the heck.
h/t Garth Turner

We love you, Stephane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIBtKRmjM8

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr. Dion. You will be forever associated in my mind with a "greener, fairer" Canada and an Opposition united against Mr. Harper.

penlan said...

"And I hope that he is able to rise above the personal smears in a way that Stephane Dion ultimately was unable to do."

I have no doubt he will. He is taking an aggressive stance, not a defensive one. This will make all the difference.

Anonymous said...

Stephane Dion is an honest politician. We need more of that in Ottawa.